02 December 2010

Thanskgiving break in 7 states

Yes, it took us going through 7 states to get from Arizona and back.  This is partially due to terrible weather and closed roads, and partially due to my "Lucy, you've got some splainin' to do" tendencies.  Yes, we made it.  Yes, we stayed in Vegas on the strip, and yes, we came back with a puppy.  Ahem.  Cue Ricky anytime now.

I have a major tendency to get myself into situations that I'm CONVINCED are great ideas....for instance, deciding we needed to adopt a cockatiel so it wouldn't go to the pound.  Not only did we adopt it, we drove 8 hours with it screaming the entire. ride. home.

With each scream I told myself "this was a good idea." 

SQUAWK

"I love this bird.."

SQUAWK

"He's just nervous"

SQUAAAAAAAAAAAAAK

"I hope he doesn't do this forever.."

SQUAWWWWK poop

"Um....maybe I should throw a towel over the cage...."

SQAL;SKJ;LASKJDFLAKJBANGBANGBANGBANGFLAPFLAPSQUAAAAAAAAKHISSHISSHISS

"Someone CALL A PRIEST!"

Meanwhile, Tanner is looking at me with that "I told you so" look...

Needless to say, we had it for about a week before finding it a good home with a guy who trained cockatiels and had 10 of them in his house.  Crazy man.

ANYWAY.

So yes, I was searching Craigslist one fine day before we left for the trip...I was looking for antiques to get along the way.  I don't know *HOW* I ended up in the pet section.  People classify things wrong all the time?? ......

I saw an ad for a small puppy.  A terrier-poodle mix that looked EXACTLY like the dog that had stolen my heart 2 years ago, and prompted my constant search for one just like him. 

I was in love...just from the small, blurry picture.  I knew we HAD to have her! 

Small problem #1:  Tanner doesn't like poodles. 

Jana's "Lucy-it-up" solution:   Tell him it's a terrier mix. 

Small problem #2:  We have to pick it up in Vegas

Solution:  We were planning on staying there anyway!

Small problem #3:  We have a 23+ hour car ride home

Solution:  WHO CARES?!

Eventually the poodle problem surfaced again when I was telling my mother-in-law about him.  Tanner was awesome about it after giving me a hard time about lying hehe, and then we settled on getting her. 

Picking her up in Vegas was a little intimidating....Montana isn't exactly bright lights, big city.  We had to meet the guy (Whom I'd never spoken to on the phone, just texts) who had her at a gas station (which was very seedy and near the strip), after dark (hmm, little creepy?)  Tanner is always after me about my Craigslist findings and not knowing who I'm going to get them from...rightfully so, I'm probably way too trustworthy. 

If I ever blog about going to pick something up that I found on Craigslist and never blog again, please alert the authorities....

Anyway, the guy was really really nice, and Daisy (this was a painstaking process of naming her, we thought of names from Flagstaff to Vegas...) is perfect!  She didn't make one peep the entire car ride home, she slept comfortably, and now rules the roost over my boxer, Gus.  It always works out in the end, right Lucy?



Now to backtrack....here are pictures from the rest of the trip!









Fire in Arizona...little nervous...but the yard looks amazing now!



We got treated to a blueberry pancake breakfast that was REALLY good.  No, I do not have any pictures of Thanksgiving dinner because I was too busy trying to find my elastic waistband pants alright?!







We went to Montezuma's castle.....it was pretty incredible to see something built that high up on a cliff...





My awesome brother in law, Cody..he's a musician.  And he's quiet, but hilarious when he talks. Love him!



My father in law and Cody, watching football.  I'm sure we just got done eating pie.  We had about 9 or 10 to consume over a 3 day period.  Gotta do what you gotta do, right? :) 



Happy family...



This is Earl (Earl Grey is his sophisticated name).  He's part of the family too, a dog with SO much character and the best underbite ever.  It only comes out when food is around.  They call it his "smile."  He really smiles for cheese...





We went to Sedona for the day, and my mom got to meet Sam Elliott...he's much taller and more two-dimensional than I pictured...



And, cue Vegas!



It was FREEZING in Vegas.  Record cold temperatures.  We didn't get to see the fountains, the lions, or the conservatory.  The three things I wanted to see! 



Doesn't the strip look dead?  One car?! 



The Christmas decor was beautiful!



It was such a fun trip.  I have so much more to share with you about a town we visited on a cliffside in Arizona, but it really deserves a post all to itself, so watch for that tomorrow!

Have you visited my sponsors' websites?  http://www.bonboncharms.com/ has amazingly cute stamped necklaces and jewelry, and make sure to keep up with Rachel at  http://www.number17cherrytreelane.com/ , she's got a baby on the way ANY DAY NOW!



9 comments:

Sarah B said...

Daisy is such a cutie pie! I'm glad it all worked out well. Your trip looks amazing, especially the castle in the side of the mountain :)

Rebecca Lewis said...

Sounds like a fun time...Daisy is an adorable Craigs list find!
;-)
Can't wait to see and hear more about your trip. Take care

Lolo @ The Adventures of Stig and Lolo said...

How adorable is Daisy?! Altho I think "Lucy" would have been fitting ;)

What a bummer that you didnt get to go to the Bellagio's Conservatory. Its one of my favorite things to do whenever we go to Vegas - and their Holiday display is the best one!

Olive said...

Daisy is darling!

Here On Crow Creek said...

your puppy is adorable and I am in love with that Shih Tzu! Loved seeing pics of them!:)

ChRiS said...

well lil pup is a cutie but seriously cuter then a boxer!!!!!!!! no way they have ny heart and soul just beautifuk dogs...i didn't know u had 1 if i did i forgot, but congrats on saving another poor pet and giving it a wonderful life!

lifeshighway said...

Great trip and Daisy is a doll. I love the little scruffy types.

Samantha2818 said...

Hi Jana,
Daisy is SO cute. An adorable scruff bag (meant in a nice way!). Sounds like an amazing trip. Glad you had a great time and welcome back.
I'm sure I've said it before but your Mum looks far too young to have an adult child! Ask her to pass on some tips to me please!
~Sam

Anonymous said...

Daisy is a doll! You had me laughing, because it sounds exactly like something I would do! I'm an animal lover, but poodles???..... not so much. BUT... they don't shed.

Montezuma's Castle.... I remember taking a field trip their when I was in grade school!

Christi